Friday, December 18, 2009

whole wheat bran muffins

I know these are not as exciting as all the other chocolate, caramely, gooey, frosted, spiced holiday treats that we are bombarded with this time of year but sometimes I just feel like I need a break from that stuff. These muffins make me feel like I am putting something healthy in my body for a change and are a great way to jump start my day...especially with a big cup of chocolate truffle coffee :) I love whole wheat flour so of course that is what I use in this recipe but I have a friend who swears they are way better if you use all-purpose white flour or half of each.
Whole Wheat Bran Muffins

ingredients:
1 1/2 cups wheat bran
1 cup skim milk
1 T. lemon juice (you could totally use buttermilk instead of the skim milk and lemon juice but I never have it on hand)
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 egg
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
Mix together milk and lemon juice. Add to wheat bran; let stand for 10 minutes.
Beat together oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and add to milk/bran mixture. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir flour mixture into milk/bran mixture, until just blended. Fold in raisins and spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Makes 12 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment