Saturday, September 12, 2009

pancake day!


Several weeks ago, after an emotionally exhausting week, I decided to make pancakes to reward myself for surviving another week. The maple syrup sugar rush seemed to help my mood so after that, I thought it would be a neat idea to make pancakes every weekend, kind of like a way to celebrate that we are one week closer to Brandon being safe at home. I wanted to make the pancakes as healthy as possible since Maddox helps me eat them, so I tried several whole wheat recipes but didn't really get the light and fluffy pancakes I was hoping for. This morning I just winged it and I have to admit, I was impressed with the outcome!

Slightly Healthy Whole Wheat Pancakes

Ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup 2% milk (I'm sure they would turn out fine if you used skim or whole milk, this is just what I used)
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce


First, mix all of the dry ingredients together

Next, mix the wet ingredients in a seperate bowl


Pour the wet mixture into the dry mix, and stir just until there are no dry spots.
Be careful not to stir the mix too much, the batter should be lumpy.


Heat a skillet over medium heat.
Pour the batter onto the buttered (or PAM) skillet once it is hot enough.
I use a 1/4 cup scoop to make the pancakes all about the same size and I ended up with 10, medium sized pancakes.


Flip the pancakes once the bubbles on the top start to pop. Once you flip, try not to mash the pancake with a spatula to make it cook faster, it can the pancakes tough and they lose their fluffiness. They should cook for about 1 1/2-2 min. on each side.


Pour yourself a cup of coffee, smother the pancakes with
your favorite toppings, take a deep breath, and enjoy!


**I prefer peanut butter and maple syrup on mine (so much for healthy) but
Maddox thinks they are great with just sliced bananas.

No comments:

Post a Comment