Thursday, October 8, 2009

fall crafting

I have never owned a wreath. Ever. Not even a sparkly Christmas one with poinsettias or shiny, miniature presents. There really is no reason I have never adorned my door with dead leaves, pinecones, or christmas tree scraps, I guess I just never thought about doing it. I mean, isn't that what moms and grandmas do?? Well, seeing as how I am now a member of the mommy club, why not go crazy :) Not to mention every time I make my weekly trip to Hobby Lobby, which is quite often the highlight of my week (did I mention I'm a mom now?), I feel strongly compelled to make crafty things like holiday centerpieces and swags (you know, those weird floral things that hang over doorways, fireplaces, etc.) and of course...wreaths.

So here is what I did. I started with just a natural dried vine wreath. I bought the cheapest one I could find since I planned to cover it anyway, plus I like the rustic look of its imperfections.

This is the "stuff" I used to cover it. I dug through the seasonal 1/2 off bins and found different colored faux berries, balls, twigs, a mum, acorns, and autumn leaves.

I hot glued them on and topped it off with ribbon. I made a bow and tied the ribbon around the wreath and left it loose in the back so I could use it as a hanger.



TA-DAA!!
It was surprisingly simple, the whole thing cost about $8 and I was able to make it during Maddox's nap (which was essential since he has entered the uber-clingy faze and doesn't allow me to do ANYTHING without him)

This little project really helped lift my spirits and jump-start the harvest season. Its still 85 degrees outside but at least my house is starting to smell and look like fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment