Saturday, October 24, 2009

pumpkin oatmeal breakfast bites


These are perfect for a healthy breakfast on the go. I am always trying to find breakfast things that Maddox and I both like, so when I found this recipe for Pumpkin Oatmeal Bites, I was super excited! They are really easy to make and are so good for you... not to mention it is yet another way I can use pumpkin!! I modified the recipe and added golden raisins and a tad bit more sugar but you could add nuts or chocolate chips and I am sure they would be wonderful!
(Sorry the picture is so bad, it really does not do these justice.)
Pumpkin Oatmeal Breakfast Bites
ingredients:
1 can pumpkin puree (15oz)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 t. vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. ginger
1/2 cup raisins (more or less depending on preference)
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
Mix the pumpkin, sugars, applesauce, and vanilla in one bowl.
Mix the remaining inredients in a big bowl. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir well (this takes a while to make sure everything is really good and mixed together because it is so sticky)
Drop full tablespoon size clumps onto a greased cookie sheet. They don't spread when they cook so you can put as many a possible on one sheet.
Bake for about 15 min. or until done.
*This makes a LOT...I ususally end up with 30-35 bites, but they do freeze well.


2 comments:

  1. They look so lovely, I will try to bake them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so are they kind of chewy, or more firm?? (just trying to picture this here...) they look great! for all 6 of us, i'd make 2 batches at a time! :)

    Megan

    ReplyDelete